Re: Menu help text not shown when using keyboard

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Menu help text not shown when using keyboard
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 19:17:00 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 15:10:18 +0200
From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>

If you are using the keyboard to navigate the menus then you currently get no information about the help text that are associated with the menu entries.

Please provide a complete and self-contained recipe to reproduce this,
and please tell on what OS you see this.  ``Using keyboard to navigate
the menus'' is not enough info, at least for me, to reproduce the
problem.
Sorry, I will try to remember. I am testing on w32:

In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)
of 2005-10-22 on W2ONE

Start with emacs -Q and open the menus from the keyboard with F10. Navigate to different menu items. Nothing is shown in the echo area. Put the mouse over a menu item with a help text. This now pops up in a tooltip.

Now do M-x tooltip-mode RET to turn off tooltip-mode. Try the same things as above. The only difference will be that the tooltips instead of poping up are shown in the echo area.