Re: [NT] Problem with `man' function

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: [NT] Problem with `man' function
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:06:46 -0400

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     With Cygwin installed and in my PATH, `M-x man' used to work fine for
>     me.  In the past year, it has stopped working; all I get is "error in
>     process sentinel. Can't find the xxx manpage."
>
> Could you possibly try debugging it and finding out what is really
> wrong?
>
>     I don't know what the best fix might be.
>
> Nobody can tell what the best fix is
> without first finding out what is really wrong.

I can tell you that if you remove the awk command at the end of the
filter chain you still get something that looks like a man page.
Otherwise, you get something that looks like

  0 (00, 0x0) = ?\C-@

And the process sentinel, understandably, has a hard time parsing it.
I don't know enough about awk nor about the NT shell command processor
to get much further with this one.

HTH,
--
Dave Abrahams