Re: #defines and MacOS X

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: #defines and MacOS X
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:22:24 -0400

On Oct 28, 2005, at 4:36 AM, Kim F. Storm wrote:

Adrian Robert <address@hidden> writes:

Meanwhile, I already updated the Nextstep port to avoid this problem
using:

HAVE_NS
     GNUSTEP
     COCOA

These should at least include MAC_ somewhere to
indicate that they are specific to the MAC port, e.g

HAVE_MAC_NEXTSTEP
MAC_GNUSTEP
MAC_COCOA

Well, it's not "Mac" specific, since the same port runs on GNUstep (on linux, FreeBSD, eventually Windows, etc.). The common denominator is the API, much like using Xlib on different OS's. I thought briefly about:

HAVE_NS
NS_GNUSTEP
NS_COCOA

But then thought both GNUSTEP and COCOA were fairly clear in their own right.

The symbol 'ns' is used elsewhere for the port, as in window-system 'ns, 'ns-win.el', etc.. I realize it may look a little short and cryptic, but given these are developer-visible strings, and every class and function name in the API starts with the letters "NS", it seems fairly clear. Maybe another idea would be:

HAVE_NEXTSTEP (or perhaps HAVE_OPENSTEP)
NEXTSTEP_GNU
NEXTSTEP_MAC

Or HAVE_NEXTSTEP / NS_GNUSTEP / NS_COCOA...

Whatever is agreed upon, I'm willing to generate the patches for both
HEAD and the unicode-2 branch.

Others will have to decide whether it is ok to do so now.

Personally, I think it should wait until after releasing 22.x -- also
on the unicode-2 branch to ease merging of patches between the branches.

I'm fine with this. Especially if the Mac maintainers think that some logic (as opposed to just names) might change as a result, it's best to wait post-release.