Re: gdb-ui doesn't work with comint read-only prompts

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: gdb-ui doesn't work with comint read-only prompts
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:41:29 +1300

 > leaving the read-only-ness of the previous newline intact.
 > If immediately afterwards a new read-only prompt is going to be
 > inserted by `comint-output-filter', then everything is OK.  If there
 > is any chance that something else than a new read-only prompt might
 > follow the still read-only newline, you could do
 > `(comint-update-fence)' with point at the beginning of the line
 > following the still read-only newline.  I guess that after the call to
 > delete-region, point is already positioned there anyway, so you could
 > probably do:
 >
 > (let ((inhibit-read-only t))
 >   (delete-region (process-mark proc)
 >               gud-delete-prompt-marker)
 >   (comint-update-fence)
 >   (set-marker gud-delete-prompt-marker nil))

I looked more carefully and although using inhibit-read-only stopped the
error, I noticed that the old prompt wasn't being deleted and prompts were
accumulating.  This only happened if you issued a GDB command from outside the
GUD buffer e.g gud-next from the tool bar (if the command is typed in the GUD
buffer, you want to keep the old prompt).  I'm not sure exactly why using
comint-update-fence solves the problem, but I've installed your change anyway.

Thanks,

Nick