Re: Finish updating copyright years

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Finish updating copyright years
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 00:47:33 +1300

 > Richard> Would people please finish the updating the copyright years?
 > Richard> That is standing in the way of the release.
 >
 > Just to make sure this is legal... the copyright year *cannot* change
 > unless something has changed (besides the copyright notice).

The legal advice we have been given (see emacs/admin/notes/years) says
that we can.

 > You can't take every file and just s/2004/2005/g, for example.  You
 > can update the copyright if some change was actually made in the file.

Again this is not the advice that we have received.  What copyright law
are you referring to?  Or are you applying "commen sense"? (which AFAICS
has no place in law).

 > It's conceivable, and in fact very likely, that some of the files
 > will still be copyright 2004 or earlier in this next release.

Yes.  If you look at the files that have been changed, they all include the
year 2004.

Nick