Re: Anyone here tracking Ilya's recent CPerl 5.X updates?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Anyone here tracking Ilya's recent CPerl 5.X updates?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:14:33 -0500

>     I don't use CPerl-mode, but I do try and follow its development to
>     keep the Emacs version up to date.  Currently all I've done is to
>     install the version 5.2 and 5.7 on the separate ILYA branch, so I can
>     ask CVs to do most of the merge for me.  I'm waiting for things to
>     stabilize before I install the new code on the trunk.

> What are the things that need to stabilize?  It would be very
> good to merge this soon, since we seem to be making progress
> towards the release, and it would be good to have a good CPerl mode
> in it.

The version 5.2 re-structured the font-lock-syntactic-keywords bit which
tries to take care of the screwy Perl syntax.  The intention is mostly to
make it (significantly) less slow, as well as slightly more featureful.
I expect this introduced various bugs, and it was indeed quickly followed by
a number of minor releases.

I'll upgrade our version of cperl-mode as soon as I find the time, since
I believe the upstream code has pretty much stabilized now.

> If it works much better than Perl mode, let's make it
> the default mode for Perl.

I must say I personally don't like cperl-mode, which is why I started
working on perl-mode.el (which now has some features which cperl-mode
doesn't, IIRC).

        Stefan