Re: display-buffer

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: display-buffer
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 23:19:38 -0600 (CST)

Nick Roberts wrote:

   No its the same or at least I can't any difference.  My window
   manager is metacity and it works/is configured for click-to-focus
   (not a lisp variable?)  However focus-follows-mouse is t, but I
   guess Emacs can't overrule the window manager.

I have not been following this thread.  But unless I misunderstand the
above, your window manager is configured for click-to-focus and you
have focus-follows-mouse set to t.  If so, you are unavoidably going to
experience some buggish feeling behavior.  The purpose of
`focus-follows-mouse' is to inform Emacs how your window manager
behaves.  Its purpose is not to have Emacs try to overrule your window
manager.  If I understood you correctly, you should set
focus-follows-mouse set to nil.

C-h v focus-follows-mouse:

*Non-nil if window system changes focus when you move the mouse.
You should set this variable to tell Emacs how your window manager
handles focus, since there is no way in general for Emacs to find out
automatically.

Sincerely,

Luc.