Re: MacOSX emacs crashes after 10.4.3 update

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: MacOSX emacs crashes after 10.4.3 update
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:43:17 -0500

On Nov 4, 2005, at 15:14, David Reitter wrote:
On 4 Nov 2005, at 19:38, Ken Raeburn wrote:
This is unfortunate, but seems to be a known problem. Similarly, binaries built on 10.4 generally don't run on 10.3.

The Mac port contains a lot of code to support ancient systems / system APIs like MacOS 8/9, apparently even without CarbonLib (never tried, though), but there is pretty much no binary compatibility between OS versions for Emacs.

Hmm, very sad.

Have you tried setting the environment variable MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 ?
E.g.

MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 ./make-package (...)

I heard that helps you build binaries that run on all 10.4 versions.

Yes, the installer I built this way on 10.4.2 seems to give me an Emacs.app that works fine on 10.4.3. Thanks.

Maybe that should be automatic? Or at least documented in the mac/* files...

Ken