The new "pp" command in gud is no longer so dangerous...

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: The new "pp" command in gud is no longer so dangerous...
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:33:07 +0100

I have installed changes to make a new safe_debug_print function which
does not crash the inferior emacs process if you pass something which
is not a valid Lisp Object (that's pretty easy if you click on the
pp toolbar button with the cursor placed on something which is not
a Lisp_Object variable.

There is now a new function valid_lisp_object_p that checks this.
Unfortunately, I only know how to make it work if GC_MARK_STACK != 0.
So it simply returns "undeterminable" if GC_MARK_STACK == 0, and
consequently safe_debug_print refuses to print any values.
If anybody has ideas how to improve this, pls. tell me (or fix it).

Also, I have added new commands to print the value of lisp variables,
e.g.
        pv debug-on-error

There is also a command pv1 which could be used as the command
to execute when user presses the "pp" toolbar button over a symbol
in a *.el file.  Someone wants to work on that?