Re: bookmarks / switch-to-buffer

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: bookmarks / switch-to-buffer
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 19:08:45 -0600 (CST)

David Reitter wrote:

   The reason was that bookmark-jump expects switch-to-buffer to return
   a non-nil value (if succeeded), but switch-to-buffer is not actually
   documented to do so.

>From the docstring:

This function returns the buffer it switched to.

>From the description of the function in the Elisp manual:

It returns the buffer that it switched to.

   Therefore I'd suggest to ignore the return value of switch-to-buffer
   in bookmark's bookmark-jump function. This fixed the problem for me.

I believe that you should fix your problem locally by fixing your advise.

If you advise a function to return a value that is different from the
documented one, then of course you run the risk to run into problems.
That is a bug in your advise, not a bug in Emacs.

Sincerely,

Luc.