Re: list-matching-lines is alias for occur

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: list-matching-lines is alias for occur
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:09:39 -0500

The traditional name of this command was "occur".
Then around 15 years ago I thought maybe "list-matching-lines"
would be better since it actually expresses the command's meaning
and fits into a systematic series of names for those four commands.

So I started moving towards making that the primary name
and treating "occur" as an alias.  But this was never fully
carried out.

You've proposed to reverse that, and make "occur" the principal
name.

One day we should either finish this change or reverse it,
but I am not sure which, and I don't want to decide in a hurry.