Re: Multiple debugging sessions [was Re: `overlay-arrow-position' should

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Multiple debugging sessions [was Re: `overlay-arrow-position' should be automatically buffer-local]
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:19:56 +0900

2005/11/10, Nick Roberts <address@hidden>:
> I can understand that it's not as ideal as working with one instance.  Could
> you please explain, in practical terms, what makes it "very inconvenient".

Because having multiple emacs instances is almost always a horrible
nuisance -- you get multiple instances of open files etc (even worse
is multiple gnus sessions -- I've done this a few times!).  One of the
biggest benefits of Emacs is having a shared global workspace.

[Do I really need to say this?!?]

> I'm
> afraid that managing multiple debugging sessions is low down on my list
> of things to do...

Retrofitting such a feature is probably a lot harder than simply being
a bit careful to keep things well-parameterized from the beginning
(well i guess it's too late now, but ...).

If you plan to make large scale change anyway, simply being aware of
the issue may go a long way towards avoiding such problems in the
rewritten code.

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.