Turning on file-name-shadow-mode by default (was: opening /tmp//foo does

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Turning on file-name-shadow-mode by default (was: opening /tmp//foo doesn't work.)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:11:43 +0100

On Sat, Nov 12 2005, Han Boetes wrote:

> If you try to open /tmp//foo emacs will try to open /foo, of
> course this is a great feature, but it forgets that /tmp//foo is a
> valid notation of /tmp/foo.

`file-name-shadow-mode' makes it quite obvious for the user what
happens.  It has been discussed previously to turn on
`file-name-shadow-mode' by default.  IIRC Richard asked people to try
it and check if there are problems.  I've been using
`file-name-shadow-mode' for about one year now (I didn't know about it
before) and I think it should be turned on by default.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)