Re: Warnings in cc mode

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Warnings in cc mode
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:34:04 +0000 (GMT)

[cc to address@hidden added]

Hi, Richard:

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

>Would you please DTRT?

>In toplevel form:
>cc-fonts.el:160:16:Warning: `font-lock-reference-face' is an obsolete
>     variable; use `font-lock-constant-face' instead.

We can surely fix this in CC Mode 5.31, since support for Emacs 19.34 is
being dropped.  CC Mode 5.30.n (the current released version) still
supports 19.34.  font-lock-reference-face became obsolete at Emacs 20.1,
I believe.

>In c-make-styles-buffer-local:
>cc-styles.el:621:27:Warning: `make-variable-buffer-local' should be
>called at
>     toplevel

This implements a user option to have CC Mode style variables global
rather than buffer-local.  This is an ancient compatibility thing which
probably isn't useful any more (if it ever was).  However, _somebody_ out
there is probably still using it.  :-(

So I think it should stay as it is.  What is so bad about calling
`make-variable-buffer-local' from a function rather than top level?  Or
even, for that matter, calling it from an `eval-after-load' form?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)