Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:47:32 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> `M-#' is normally bound to `calc-dispatch', but in gnus it's bound to
>> `gnus-topic-unmark-topic' in groups buffer, to
>> `gnus-summary-unmark-as-processable' in summary and article buffer.
[...]
> Well, start a reply before you start calculating.  It is not the best
> workaround for the situation, but better than nothing.

Please tell me, that you are joking.

This is not about finding an "workaround", I know about at least halve
a dozen ways of getting calc from within gnus my self.

This is about a inconsistency in emacs which should be fixed.  calc is
part of GNU emacs and it uses and documents M-# as a global binding,
while gnus -- part of gnu emacs, too -- binds it locally.  Of cause I
can use a custom binding for calc as Jay suggested (and in fact, it's
what I'm doing for now), but I think the TRTTD would be to change
either binding.  Global default bindings in emacs should be global.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde : "Ist es nicht schon schlimm genug, dass ICH hier rumtrolle?"
             : (Henning Leise in d.o.c.)