Re: Bug in file name completion

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bug in file name completion
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:39:53 +0200

> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:45:44 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>
> >      c:/temp/eclean/
> >      c:/temp/ecvs/
> >
> >    When I do
> >
> >     C-x C-f c:/temp/, TAB
> >
> >    it just completes to "c:/temp/eclean" instead of showing the
> >    alternatives.
> >
> >I wonder if that is due to spuriously matching the "CVS/" element of
> >completion-ignored-extensions.  Maybe we need to change that to "/CVS/".
> >

> The documentation says that
>
>     Directories are ignored if they match any string in this list which
>     ends in a slash.
>
> It does not say that directories ending in any of those strings are
> ignored. However the code in file_name_completion (in dired.c) looks too
> me like it ignores directories ending in those strings.
>
> Which is the intended behaviour?

Wed had a thread about this in the past.  It started in the end of
December 2003 and continued in January 2004.  The subject was "CVS
directories in completion-ignored-extensions".  The "/CVS/" solution
was proposed then, but Richard proposed a different solution that he
liked better.

I suggest we read that thread before deciding what to do with this.