Re: Help buffer key bindings

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Help buffer key bindings
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 03:19:57 +0200

> Two things:
>
> *** 1) On EmacsWiki I found this suggestion:
>
>    Bind "l" to help-go-back in help-mode, to make it behave a tiny bit
> more like info mode.
>
>    (add-hook 'help-mode-hook (lambda () (define-key help-mode-map "l"
> 'help-go-back)))
>
> Maybe binding "l" to help-go-back is a good thing?

If we bind "l" to help-go-back, you might start wanting something more
(like using "r" to go forward in history in the Help buffer :-)

Actually I think more tight integration between Info and Help is
a good thing, and "l" is the first step in this direction.

> *** 2) A while ago we discussed S-TAB in the help buffer. On w32 this
> still moves forward. I think it should move backward. Was there any
> decision on this? How does it work on other platforms?

It doesn't work on tty too.

> I remember I did not quite understand what was happening. It seems like
> S-TAB is interpreted as just TAB on w32. Since other applications (for
> example Firefox) recognices S-TAB it looks a bit like a bug.

Perhaps M-TAB should do the same as S-TAB on systems that don't
produce S-TAB, and only in buffers where M-TAB is not bound to
something useful (like `complete-symbol' which is not useful in
the Help buffer).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/