Re: wish: right alt/meta to switch keyboard layout while pressed

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: wish: right alt/meta to switch keyboard layout while pressed
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:43:06 +0200

Aidan Kehoe wrote:

>  Ar an séú lá is fiche de mí na Samhain, scríobh Paul Pogonyshev:
>
>  > I use KDE. There I have the Russian (winkeys) layout added with "Include
>  > latin layout" option turned on. This gives this command line:
>  >
>  >    setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us,ru -variant ,winkeys
>  >
>  > After this, most applications handle, say `Сtrl-Ц' just like `Ctrl-W'
>  > (`Ц' and `W' are on the same key.) However, Firefox doesn't, for some
>  > reason (which pisses me off a lot, BTW) and so doesn't Emacs... No idea
>  > why.
>
> Recent betas of XEmacs do. Not to do it is expected behaviour, when you
> think of it; it would be reasonable to bind M-Cyrillic_tse to something
> different to M-x, if both were available on the keyboard.

Yeah, and then I'd have to remember if I'm typing in Russian or in English
and press different key combos in different layouts to say delete a word.

I don't mind if they are configurable in different layouts even if I consider
it an overkill.  But Emacs has some hundreds of actively used key combinations,
do you suggest I rebind all of them separately for Russian layout too?  Should
I do this in every single one application I use besides Emacs (and which
probably doesn't even have the facility to rebind keys.)

Non-self-inserting keys _absolutely_ must work independently of the layout,
at least by default.

Paul