Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:20:19 +0000

On 28 Nov 2005, at 21:00, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

I'm not sure it's a bug, it could be a missing feature. The issue is
    how to determine that a frame that displays the current menu is
    visible.

Is it only Mac OS on which the menu can be separated from the frame?
On Mac OS, does it always apply to the selected frame?

Yes, to the selected frame (and the selected buffer).
And it's not an option for the user (in the Carbon port) - the menu is always on the top of the screen.

Wasn't there some option in KDE or Gnome that allowed you to do that, too? I faintly remember seeing something. (Though I don't know if this will apply to Emacs' menu, too.)