Re: emacs crash on SMP notebook only

From: Lőrentey Károly
Subject: Re: emacs crash on SMP notebook only
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:32:46 +0100

Joost Helberg <address@hidden> writes:
>   Emacs-22 (from CVS) works OK (i.e. with hyperthreading, GCC 4).
>
>   Emacs-21.4 as bundled with my OS but recompiled, crashes often with
>                 hyperthreading and GCC 4, crashed twice with GCC 3.4.
>
>   Emacs-21.4 as deliverd by the FSF works fine using GCC 4 or
>                 GCC 3.4.

> I'm currently checking out the patches from Debian and Ubuntu, as I'm
> pretty sure these make the crashes appear.

Did you check what GCC options are used to compile Emacs in
Debian/Ubuntu?  Perhaps the target processor (-mcpu) or the
optimization level is different than what you use when you compile the
package yourself.

The last I checked, there were only harmless-looking bugfixes in the
Debian patches.

--
Károly