Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 14:51:22 -0500

>> After I saw the problem, but before I reported it, I recompiled all
>> the cc-*.el files, by "make recompile".  Perhaps that command does not
>> compile the files in the order you mention.  It would be nice if it
>> did that automatically.
>>
>> There is no Emacs feature to control order of compilation,
>> so there would be no easy way to make that automatic.

> I thought about some Make magic, like making some of the *.elc files
> dependent on some other *.elc files which need to be compiled first.
> (We already have COMPILE_FIRST files that work around similar
> problems.)  Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

That would work.  It'd be even better to generate this dependency info
automatically.  Ideally, the byte-compiler would keep track of which macros
are used, so that it can automatically generate exact
dependency information.

Note that e.g. if we change the dolist macro, it's not enough to recompile
subr.el before the other files, since we also need to redump the executable
after recompiling subr.el.

        Stefan