Re: cvs-mode-diff on marked files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cvs-mode-diff on marked files
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:51:17 -0500

> I wonder what are the reasons for cvs-mode-diff to ignore selected
> files?  It is very convenient to mark all relevant files in the *cvs*
> buffer and type `=' to generate a composite patch.  But currently
> `cvs-invert-ignore-marks' contains "diff" by default, thus preventing
> `=' to operate on all selected files.  It operates only on the current
> file at point.  Even the documentation string of `cvs-mode-diff' says
> "Diff the selected files against the repository" where "selected files"
> is in the plural form.

With the prefix T you can get what you want: T =
As for why, it's mostly historical (that's how it was originally in PCL-CVS
when I took over maintenance and it may have been originally due to
limitations of early CVS).  I actually like it because I often select
files to commit and then do diff one file at a time (either to fill the
ChangeLog or to decide whether to add the file to set of selected files for
commit).

        Stefan