Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:29:39 +0200

> From: "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:53:49 -0500
>
>     I thought about some Make magic, like making some of the *.elc files
>     dependent on some other *.elc files which need to be compiled first.
>     (We already have COMPILE_FIRST files that work around similar
>     problems.)  Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
>
> It would be possible, but very inconvenient.

Why inconvenient?

> And it would not do any good for people that do M-x
> byte-recompile-directory.

I don't think I'd mind if byte-recompile-directory couldn't handle
such problems, since it isn't supposed to be used for such situations.
By contrast, Make was invented to handle this.

> The right thing to do is figure out what really went wrong here, and
> then change the files to avoid the problem.

I agree that we should find that out, but we already know that the .el
files with macros need to be compiled before those which use the
macros, so why not do something that would fix this?