Re: bootstrap problem with union Lisp_Object

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: bootstrap problem with union Lisp_Object
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:41:28 -0500

    No, but without such a thing -- or some other approach like replacing
    some of these macros with functions -- the ENABLE_CHECKING version of
    these macros will evaluate arguments more than once.  As far as I
    know, most if not all of the actual uses are cases where this doesn't
    cause much trouble except perhaps for performance.

There isn't a pressing need to change them, so we will leave them
alone.

Please, everyone, stop suggesting changes merely because they might be
improvements.  That's not a sufficient reason to suggest a change now.
We need to focus on the work that NEEDS to be done: fixing bugs,
and tuning the new features.

Please see etc/FOR-RELEASE.

I am always a day behind in answering email.   I therefore ask
the others on this list to help focus activities, by reminding
people of this policy faster than I can.  If you see someone
make a suggestion which is not about fixing a bug or tuning a new
feature, please respond by saying, politely, that now is the
wrong time to propose such issues and would people please
refrain from further discussion of the inappropriate proposal.