Re: Let's shut down address@hidden

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Let's shut down address@hidden
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:41:21 -0500

> I can see why you might hesitate to _read_ a list with a lot of spam,
> but why, rationally, would the amount of spam affect your decision to
> post to the list?  I don't see how it makes any difference.

It makes no difference indeed in the case where you don't read the list *at
all* before posting.  But if you select the newsgroup just before posting an
article (the standard operation AFAIK: it's even usually recommended to
read a bit of a newsgroup before you post to it), or if you check the
archive before sending a mail to the mailing-list, then I'd be surprised if
the spam doesn't turn you off.  I mean: you really have to look for the
valid articles in order to realize that the group/list is actually
still alive.

        Stefan