Re: defcustom :type to use for a key sequence?

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: defcustom :type to use for a key sequence?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:46:18 -0500

    I still think it would make a lot of sense to make :type key-sequence
    edit a string rather than a sexp.

    The actual value would still be a vector or string, but before editing
    it would be passed through "key-description" to give the string to
    edit, and after editing the string would be passed through "kbd" (aka
    "read-kbd-macro") to make the value to save in the variable.

That could be a big improvement.  Would you like to do it?

This is a new feature (isn't it? please correct me if I'm wrong),
so fixing it now to work well when first released is appropriate.

    It would be great if there was some way to actually press the keys
    to insert, rather than to have to spell them out -- is there some
    way to bind a key to have a special meaning while editing such a string?
    E.g. to add C-M-S-$ to the string, one could press e.g. C-u C-M-S-$

That could also be a big improvement, but how to reconcile these two
features?  It could appear as a string, with a box which you click on
to enter a new key by typing it.