Re: Right Alt/Meta keys on Windows systems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Right Alt/Meta keys on Windows systems
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 06:29:01 +0200

> From: Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:31:19 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > From: Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden>
> > > Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:55:21 +0200
> > > Cc: address@hidden
> > >
> > > I think it is related to the issue I raised under topic `wish: right
> > > alt/meta
> > > to switch keyboard layout while pressed'.  I.e. right Alt acts as a
> > > temporary
> > > layout switcher and so it does not look as Alt to applications.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm not following: are you talking about keyboard language
> > switch invoked on MS-Windows with the Alt-SPC combination?  If so,
> > then the keyboard switch works for me as I'd expect (i.e., the same as
> > it does in other Windows applications), and it doesn't affect the
> > right Alt to META mapping in any way.
>
> Well, you should have probably re-read that thread's opening message.

You must be kidding: I replied to that opening message.  It says:

    I currently find myself having to use Windows/XP for a short while.
    My first action was to install cygwin and rebuild the latest CVS Emacs
    snapshot.  Much to my chagrin, it would appear that the ancient
    Windows right Alt/Meta key problem still exists (the right Alt key is
    NOT a Meta modifier key as is the left one).

There's nothing here about language switching, just about rge right
Alt key.

> I'm talking about a common function of right Alt key: it temporary
> (while pressed) disables the current layout and switches to English
> layout.

I don't see this on MS-Windows.  Is this supposed to work on Windows?
Note that the opening message clearly talks about Windows-related
issues.

> I guess _that's_ why right Alt doesn't work as Alt in Emacs for
> Lennart Borgman.

The opening message wasn't from Lennart, it was from Paul Michael
Reilly.

> > Are we still talking about the MS-Windows port of Emacs?  Or are we
> > talking about Emacs on GNU/Linux?  The OP raised the issue for
> > Windows.
>
> Now I'm talking about GNU/Linux, where Emacs is working incosistently with
> the rest of the system.  It disregards Mode_switch (i.e. right Alt when
> working in the layout-disabling mode I described above) when working with
> LEIM.

That's another issue altogether, let's not add to confusion.