Re: Mode_switch and LEIM

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: Mode_switch and LEIM
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:16:48 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > When I configure `xkb' to make right Alt disable the current layout while
> > pressed, I expect right Alt to disable the current layout, sort of.  When
> > in Emacs right Alt is essentially ignored ([right Alt]-ъ types `ъ' just as
> > simple `ъ' does), that has no useful value for me at all.
>
> [ Note to self: remember that whenever he writes "right alt" it really means
>   "the key labelled `alt' to right of the space bar which in my
>   configuration sends the Mode_Switch event". ]
>
> Do you have a key ъ on your keyboard?  Or do you use an input method to
> get this?  If so, is it an XIM or LEIM input method?  Which XIM (or which
> LEIM as the case may be) input method was it?

I have a key labelled as both `]' (for English layout) and `ъ' (for Russian.)
I use LEIM in Emacs, because with XIM I cannot invoke bindings like `C-x v ='
(becomes `C-x м =') and until recently I couldn't even type `M-d' (would get
`M-в' instead), but now this works OK.  Also, with XIM I cannot have separate
input methods for each buffer.

I use `russian-computer' LEIM input method.

> >From the last time you brought up this issue, I'd guess that you're using
> a LEIM input method.  LEIM ignores the Mode_switch event.  You should
> currently use C-\ instead (and yes, I know it can't be used as a modifier so
> it's a bit different).

Everything correct.

Paul