Re: Mode_switch and LEIM

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: Mode_switch and LEIM
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 21:18:00 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > b) a way to switch input methods using the same key as is used for switching
> >    XIM input methods (but this is probably way too difficult and cannot be
> >    done without hacking external software).
>
> How does it work in XIM?

Uh, actually, I don't know.  I use KDE as desktop environment and it handles
layouts itself.  Layout switching is bound to a key combination (by default
it is Ctrl+K, but I use Win+Space) and each time the combination is pressed,
the current layout is switched to the next one from a predefined set (I have
only English and Russian in this set.)

I assume KDE just calls `setxkbmap' each time the layout is changed, at
least it shows command line for it in the `Keyboard Layout' Control Center
page.  For me it shows these two command lines:

        setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -variant basic
        setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us,ru -variant ,winkeys

The first is for U.S. English, the second is for Russian.

Paul