Re: mouse.el patch for region tracking

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: mouse.el patch for region tracking
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:40:59 -0700

On Jan 2, 2006, at 6:45 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

The one question remaining is whether it is appropriate to delete the
overlay (as I currently do) when transient-mark-mode is nil, and
terminating events aren't being processed. This means the highlighted
region vanishes just after the drag completes.

I have a question about this part: why do you not delete the overlay when
transient-mark-mode is active?

I guess because the region is still active, so, as normally in transient-mark-mode, the active region should remain highlighted until mark is deactivated, just as in normal selection. Maybe this isn't necessary. I'd just as soon have it always delete. In my mode, I place another overlay there more temporarily, so it doesn't affect me.

As for the extra argument handle-terminating-event, I'd call it
"do-mouse-drag-region-post-process" and I wouldn't document what it
does, but just say that it should only be used by mouse-drag-region.

Done.

One thing bothered me while playing with transient mark mode: 'mouse- region-delete-keys', while nice, is very inconsistent in transient mark mode. If you define a region with the mouse, it works. If you define a region with C-space and then move point, it does not work. I know the name implies this, but the semantics of "mark something yellow, hit the delete key" seem fairly intuitive.

JD