Re: url-cache - (require 'url)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: url-cache - (require 'url)
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 09:51:41 +0000

On 3 Jan 2006, at 01:46, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Is url-retrieve higher-level, and should it be used?

Yes.  See the anemic texinfo docs.

Fine.
Using it now, it complains about two things:

/Users/dr/.emacs.d/url/history does not exist.
Could not load cookie file /Users/dr/.emacs.d/url/cookies

url-history-track is nil. Why load some history file when all I want to do is retrieve a defined URL.
I don't use cookies, so can I prevent it from loading the cookie file.

See, I'm using url-retrieve programmatically and without user interaction every three days when my Emacs is started. This is to check whether there is a new version on the server. Printing unnecessary messages is a no-no in this situation. So is wasting CPU time. I'm binding all sorts of things temporarily (like `url-automatic- caching' or `url-confirmation-func') just in case the user customizes these things. But as soon as a new option is added, I'll have to update my code.