Re: try-completion not showing all possible completions?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: try-completion not showing all possible completions?
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:27:46 -0500

> Thank you, that makes perfect sense.  The documentation for
> try-completion is a little misleading; it says:

> "Each car of each element of ALIST (or each element if it is not a cons
> cell) is tested to see if it begins with STRING."

> I understood this to mean that the predicate (try-completion's third
> argument) would be run on *each and every* element of ALIST.

The predicate is definitely not used on each and every element of ALIST.
In older Emacsen it was called on each and every element that started with
STRING (tho it might also depend on completion-regexp-list) and now it's
called in slightly fewer cases.
Basically it's called whenever it's needed.  Notice that the piece of
docstring you quote doesn't mention the predicate at all.

        Stefan