Re: rogue option init-file-user

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: rogue option init-file-user
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 16:29:06 -0600 (CST)

I believe that there is some confusion here.  We already decided in an
earlier discussion what to do with custom-file (at least in as far
Emacs 22 is concerned.)  `user-init-file' is currently not
customizable (and probably should not be either).

The present discussion concerns `init-file-user'.  This is a (to me)
internal variable which determines which user's init file is read.
The current defcustom seems to invite the user to specify some value
in the custom-set-variables form in his init file.  But when and if
Emacs is actually going to read that customization, it has already
decided which user's init file to read.  So it has no effect.

The user should specify which init file to read using a command line
option, such as -q or -u.  After that, it is too late.

Sincerely,

Luc.