Re: Treatise on require

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Treatise on require
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:51:58 -0500

    Over time, nasty circular dependencies have reared their ugly head in
    MH-E. For example, mh-e requires just about other file and just about
    every other file requires mh-e.

You really should get rid of that.  If you put the specific things
that are depended on into one file, then that file need not depend
on any others.

    Also, has anyone written anything to build a call graph so that I might
    be able to reorganize the files as another way to eliminate the loops.

I don't recall that there is one in Emacs itself.  I agree it would
be useful to have.

I suggest this method:

1. Move all macros and defsubsts into the base file.

2. Compile another file and see what it might depend on.

3. Move that stuff into the base file.

Etc.