Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:53:58 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> He has a certain Emacs Lisp setup that he can use to crash Emacs
> reproducibly, when hyperthreading is turned on.  Without
> hyperthreading, he has gotten one or two strange bus errors, but these
> seem to be difficult to reproduce, and we're not sure if they are
> real.

Hmm... bus errors are quite uncommon on i386, are you 100% sure that
we're looking at a software problem here?  It's possible that this
user's machine has faulty RAM chips that cause random memory corruption,
and that HyperThreading worsens the problem because it increases memory
pressure.

Can the problem be reproduced on several machines?  If not, could the
user run memtest86+ on that one machine?

If this is a problem specific to HT, it strikes me as suspicious that we
got only *one* report given the number of people who use the CVS version
of Emacs.

(For the record, my main work machine has HyperThreading and Emacs
hasn't crashed there for many months now.)

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the