Re: Problems with whole buffer Custom functions.

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Problems with whole buffer Custom functions.
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 03:47:04 +0200

>     S-TAB is the preferable key binding, but currently it's impossible to
>     specify a preferable key binding in the docstring.
>
> The way to do that is to use two different command names.  Look at
> `advertised-undo', for instance.  We could use that same technique to
> make sure that S-TAB is what appears in a doc string.
>
> However, arranging to present only S-TAB would have a drawback,
> that it would not give any way to do this on a tty.

Perhaps a better solution than adding `advertised-widget-backward'
is not to bind M-TAB on on graphics terminals at all.

> Or maybe we should settle for having S-TAB available only on graphics
> terminals.

TAB and S-TAB are standard keys to move to next/previous links in modern
GUI applications.

I think this is not a big problem that S-TAB is not available on a tty.
There was no M-TAB keybinding in Emacs for moving to the previous link for
several years until it was installed a month ago, and nobody complained
about this.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/