Re: Mac Carbon: Control on Caps Lock becomes sticky problem

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Mac Carbon: Control on Caps Lock becomes sticky problem
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 00:01:37 -0500

My guess is that it's a bug in the Apple code. I've seen the problem on my PowerBook G4, but not on my desktop system at work. But since having Control in the below-bottom-row position under Emacs exacerbates my RSI problems, I'm dealing with losing text now and then... :-(

The uControl web page (http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/ucontrol.html) indicates that the author of that program (which you had to use under earlier OS X releases to swap these keys) used to believe it was a hardware problem, but since found out about special events that get delivered for the control key.

uControl is being replaced by fKeys (http://www.kodachi.com/fKeys/), a rewrite specifically for Tiger. If you feel like trying it out, let me (us?) know if the "control lock" problem is fixed there; if you don't, maybe I'll get around to trying it eventually....

Ken