Re: Instead of `risky-local-variable'

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Instead of `risky-local-variable'
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:14:58 -0500

    > I'm considering a more reliable replacement for the
    > `risky-local-variable' mechanism.  My idea is that only defcustom'ed
    > variables could be specified in a local variables list, and that the
    > :type together with the specified value would determine whether a
    > variable is safe.

    This won't work for defcustoms that haven't been loaded yet.

It would probably refuse to bind the variable in such a case, but is
that really a problem in practice?  A file local binding is useful
because the variable is going to do something, which means the package
that obeys it needs to be loaded.