Re: gud.el organization and adding debuggers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gud.el organization and adding debuggers
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:30:22 -0500

>> Yes, GUD's support for particular debuggers should be made more modular.
>> It should also be possible to have several GUD sessions using different
>> debuggers at the same time.

> Huh? Currently I have have no problem having several GUD sessions.

Really?  And those GUD sessions don't all use the same debugger?
Which debuggers do they use?

> And if I want to debug the same program more than once simultaneously
> a "rename-buffer" or "rename-uniquely" works for me.

The problem is (among a few others) that each sessions makes global changes.
E.g. `gud-def' redefines globally the text sent to the underlying debuggers.

> However, if there seems to be a consensus on this, I'd be happy to
> break gud.el into a generic file (gud.el) and several
> debugger-specific files (bashdb.el, mdb.el, pydb.el, etc.). Also make
> the changes I suggested in my previous email of using "define-key
> gud-menu-map" and removing entries from "easy-mmode-defmap
> gud-menu-map".

I'd rather keep as many entries in gud-menu-map as possible, and simply make
them invisible when the debugger doesn't support them.  This will ensure
better consistency between the various debuggers supported.

        Stefan