Re: gud.el organization and adding debuggers

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: Re: gud.el organization and adding debuggers
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 23:08:38 -0500

Stefan Monnier writes:
 > >> Yes, GUD's support for particular debuggers should be made more modular.
 > >> It should also be possible to have several GUD sessions using different
 > >> debuggers at the same time.
 >
 > > Huh? Currently I have have no problem having several GUD sessions.
 >
 > Really?  And those GUD sessions don't all use the same debugger?
 > Which debuggers do they use?

Whatever I asked to be debugged. Could be perl's, mdb, bashdb, pydb
and/or gdb. As I look at my emacs buffer list, I see all of them in
use right now. The two gdb sessions debug different programs and have
different breakpoints set for each -- different gdb states (file args,
etc.), and that is true in other debuggers when I debug multiple
programs.

If you're trying to be diadactic, give it up. I wrote "Currently I
have no problem having serveral GUD sessions", and just take that at
face value. No doubt there are subtleties I'm missing and perhaps when
you add into GNU Emacs in whatever it is you are clearly conveying (to
others), feeble me will see the light and marvel at it.

I'm still down at the level where I am trying to understand where/when
the "local-set-key" of the "menu-bar" keymap makes itself evident to
users. ;-)

 > > And if I want to debug the same program more than once
 > > simultaneously a "rename-buffer" or "rename-uniquely" works for
 > > me.
 >
 > The problem is (among a few others) that each sessions makes global changes.
 > E.g. `gud-def' redefines globally the text sent to the underlying debuggers.

Okay.

 > I'd rather keep as many entries in gud-menu-map as possible, and simply make
 > them invisible when the debugger doesn't support them.  This will ensure
 > better consistency between the various debuggers supported.

By all means -- GO FOR IT! I'm assuming these changes you envision
will at least solve the set of issues that have been troubling me.

Thanks for volunteering to take this on.