RE: ignore mouse-wheel press during rotation

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: ignore mouse-wheel press during rotation
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:06:45 -0800

    > The problem (annoyance) is that with many (all?) such mice it
    > is easy to accidentally press the wheel while trying to
    > rotate it (the rotation finger
    > movement ends similarly to a press movement).

    Actually, I find the opposite is true. It is relatively easy to
    avoid applying downward force while rotating, but due to the
    shape of the wheel and position of the finger, difficult to
    avoid an accidental scroll when the intention is to press the
    button.

Perhaps it depends on the mouse - or the finger ;-). I've never accidentally
rotated when pressing, but I have accidentally pressed when rotating.

I don't know which problem Kim's fix solves - perhaps it solves both.

    I don't think this is something that can be easily solved by
    ignoring certain events, since it is impossible to know the
    user's real intention and we are as likely to frustrate the
    user as help them.

I don't know how it should be fixed. I really intended to describe the
problem, not the solution.

However, if it can be fixed for X then it can probably be fixed for Windows.
At least, the supposed obstacle of guessing the user's intention should not
be different in the two cases. If that were a significant problem for
Windows, it would also be significant for X.

People seem to be happy with the X fix, so similar behavior (if not similar
implementation) would likely be acceptable for Windows too.