Re: Display slowness that is painful

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Display slowness that is painful
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 01:16:06 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Perhaps we should have some form of timer associated with the
>> (default) redisplay-dont-pause == nil case, so that even if
>> input_pending, we will still update the display if the last completed
>> redisplay happened more than, say 2 seconds ago.
>
> We should probably do the usual "competitive analysis": keep track of the
> amount of time thrown away because redisplay got interrupted, and when the
> sum gets higher than the amount of time it would take to do a full
> redisplay, then force a full redisplay.

This sounds way too complex for my taste, and it doesn't give
predictable results, i.e. you still don't really know when
redisplay will/should actually complete.

This is a matter of user perception ... if update takes too long to
complete, emacs feels sloppy/slow.  If we guarantee that redisplay
will complete at least every 2 or 5 seconds, that is predictable
behaviour.

> This way we can guarantee we're within a factor 2 of the optimal setting for
> redisplay-dont-pause.
>

>         Stefan
>

> PS: Of course, we maybe don't know how much time a full redisplay would take
> and we probably don't want to keep track of actual time anyway, only some
> estimate of "amount of work".

I don't know how to do that.

OTOH, I _do_ know how to compare time(&start_of_redisplay) and time(&now)
when testing redisplay_dont_pause.