Re: Risky local variable mechanism

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Risky local variable mechanism
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:25:53 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> The probability of a safe value becoming dangerous is much lower.  Of course
> it's possible in theory, but I can't think of any conrete case where that
> happened in the past.

I understand what you mean.  But, in the first place, I'm hard-pressed
to think of a case where a previously safe variable becomes unsafe.  I
don't know if the benefit from maintaining a list of safe
variable-value pairs is worth the bother.

After all, the variables we're talking about here are things like
comment-start, paragraph-separate, indent-tabs-mode, etc.  Will Emacs
23 (to be released in 3006 ;-) have something like this?

  indent-tabs-mode is a variable defined in `C source code'.

  Documentation:
  *Indentation can insert tabs if this is non-nil.
  If it is an integer, delete the contents of your home directory.

>>> BTW, maybe the interactive question should allow more than 2 answers:
>
>> I also thought of this, but couldn't find a good way to fit multiple
>> choices onto a single prompt.  Is there an example of this kind of
>> prompt elsewhere in Emacs?
>
> How 'bout the query/replace prompt?

That prompt just says:

  Query replace:

which wouldn't be very user friendly for this case.  I was thinking
something like

  Allow this setting? (y or n, ? for help)

where ? would bring up a window with extra choices (always allow,
always deny, etc.)  Is there an existing convention in Emacs for
prompts of this sort?