Re: tool bar: mouse-2, mouse-3, C-mouse-1, S-mouse-1?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: tool bar: mouse-2, mouse-3, C-mouse-1, S-mouse-1?
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:36:49 +0100

On Wed, Feb 08 2006, Juri Linkov wrote:

> (info "(elisp)Tool Bar") describes how to add modifiers to the fake
> function keys in the tool bar, but really the following sample code
> has no effect:
>
>   (define-key tool-bar-map [S-help] 'info)

`<f1> k [C-help]' crashed Emacs here, but maybe it was not directly
related to that action.  (See emacs-pretest-bug, MID
<address@hidden> or later on
<http://thread.gmane.org/address@hidden>).

>>> A good thing for mouse-3 to do on the tool bar icon is to display a popup
>>> menu with more related actions, [...]
>>
>> I'm not a usability expert, but I think tool bar icon commands should
>> not popup menus (as the Emacs help icon does: duplicating the Help
>> menu item).
>
> I think only mouse-1 should not popup menus, but in many modern
> applications mouse-3 is a standard way to show a popup menu
> with a complete list of items related to the main item invoked
> via mouse-1.

I don't recall an application offering a menu on mouse-3 specific to a
certain tool bar button.  E.g. Firefox 1.5 displays the same as <Menu>
<View> <Toolbars> does, no matter at which tool bar position you click
<mouse-3>.  But I agree that <mouse-3> in Emacs could do as you
suggest.

>> The different commands I have in mind for Gnus are variations of the
>> Reply command (e.g. with or without citing the text) or
>> gnus-summary-sort-by-whatever and the reverse sort.
>
> Good idea.

Thanks.

Bye, Reiner.
--