Gnus compatibility with Emacs 23 (unicode branch) (was: gnus doesn't enc

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Gnus compatibility with Emacs 23 (unicode branch) (was: gnus doesn't encode non-ascii attachment filenames)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:59:21 +0100

On Tue, Feb 14 2006, Miles Bader wrote:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>> For Emacs 23, we can have a better/simpler fix.  But, could someone
>> tell me the maintenance policy of Gnus codes?  Should we modify codes
>> in cvs HEAD so that it works also with emacs-unicode-2 (perhaps with
>> version check here and there)?

(Or feature check, if possible.)  But please don't break compatibility
with Emacs 21 and Emacs 20.7 [1].

>> Or, should we directly modify codes in cvs emacs-unicode-2?
>
> It seems to me better keep the code in both branches the same, if
> possible.
>
> Changes to Emacs 22 will be propagated to Gnus 5.10 and the Gnus
> development branch (No Gnus); as people may wish to use the Gnus
> development branch with Emacs 23, it would be a good thing to avoid
> changes which are only in the Emacs 23 sources.

I agree.  AFAICS, Dave Love already installed some changes to make
Gnus work with emacs-unicode-2 (often referred as "Emacs 22" [2] in
code comments).  But there are probably also some open issues:
E.g. "Wrong for Emacs 23" in `message-fix-before-sending'.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] We are currently discussing if we should drop Emacs 20.7
    compatibility also for the stable branch (Gnus 5.10, v5-10) as we
    have already done for the development version of Gnus (No Gnus).

[2] We should probably check out the before-renaming-to-emacs-22
    version, look for strings like "Emacs 22" and replace the comments
    with "Emacs 23 (unicode)"
--
       ,,,
      (o o)