Re: Question about set-variable in .emacs

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Question about set-variable in .emacs
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:47:34 -0600 (CST)

Drew Adams wrote:

   I just had a user who put (setq foo t) in his .emacs. Option foo is defined
   with a defcustom that limits its possible values to a :choice that does not
   include t.

   I wonder what we recommend people to put in their .emacs in such
   situations - that is, people who choose not to use Customize (at least for
   that option).

If t is an illegal value for foo, then the obvious recommendation
would be that the user would not set foo to an illegal value.  The
fact that the user does not get warned would not seem that much of a
problem, since people who do not use Custom presumably do not _want_
this type of hand holding.

If t is a legal value and the problem is that Custom claims it is not,
then there is a bug in the defcustom.

Sincerely,

Luc.