Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 10:53:58 -0600 (CST)

Martin Rudalics wrote:

   Such `]'s should be quoted just like `.', `*', `+', `?', `[', `^',
   `$', and `\'.

Even if that _would_ be true, `]' should _not_ be quoted as "\\]" but as
"[]]", as I pointed out earlier.  We are talking about Elisp, not AWK.

   According to the Elisp manual all these exhibit "poor practice" since
   you didn't quote the second `]'s.  You should have complained about that
   when you read the manual.

Reading through a large body of text, it is easy to miss a small and
non-obvious detail like this.  I am complaining about it now and, in
a separate message, proposed a patch.

Sincerely,

Luc.