Re: key to yank text at point into minibuffer?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: key to yank text at point into minibuffer?
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:06:57 +0900

On 3/6/06, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>       Miles is suggesting deleting the C-S-BS
>     binding for kill-whole-line because he believes that many users will
>     mistakenly hold down the Meta key rather than the Shift key.
>
> I don't think we need to go that far to avoid the risk someone will
> make an unusual double mistake.

Well it's only one mistake (Alt vs. Shift), not two, but I'm
suggesting this change because I really did make that mistake, not out
of random worry:  I noticed the News entry, tried to type C-S-BS to
test this new binding, but my fingers ended up hitting Alt instead,
and killing my entire session.  I don't think this happened because of
clumsiness, but rather because Alt is a far, far, more common modifier
in conjunction with Control than Shift is, and muscle memory
apparently treats chorded modifier keys as a unit...

If the consequences of C-Alt-BS weren't so severe, I wouldn't worry
about it -- people mistype all the time -- but they _are_ fairly
severe, so it seems worthy of extra caution.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.