Re: gdb-ui

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: gdb-ui
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:08:04 +0100

Markus Gritsch <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim F. Storm wrote:
>> In any case:  Please don't use C-return ... CUA-mode binds C-return
>> globally to toggle rectangle marking.
>
> So this change in CUA key binding happened recently.

2005-05-17  Kim F. Storm  <address@hidden>

        * emulation/cua-base.el (cua-use-hyper-key): Doc fix.
        (cua--init-keymaps): Bind C-return instead of S-return to set
        rectangle mark.

        * emulation/cua-rect.el (cua--init-rectangles): Bind C-return
        instead of S-return to toggle/clear rectangle mark.

.. so I wouldn't say "recently".

>                                                       What was wrong
> with the former CUA Shift-return binding for toggle rectangle marking?

Two reasons:

To align it with C-SPC which toggles the region mark.

Typing RET after entering an upper-case word would often resulted in
hitting S-RET with pretty confusing results (huh, no newline? - and then
you have to enter another S-RET to get back to normal editing state once
you realize what really happened).  Must have done that 1000 times myself!

> I use C-return to complete words by binding it to dabbrev-expand in my
> Emacs.

Nothing prevents you from making your own bindings...