Re: defcustom :version

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: defcustom :version
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:30:12 -0800

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>     3. Refactor customize-changed to accept two new optional arguments which
> is
>        the prefix of the package and the version symbol to use
>        ('custom-version by default).
>
> I don't like that idea, because I don't want to expose version numbers
> of parts of Emacs to the user.

OK. In that case, we'd refactor the meat of customize-changed into an
internal routine that both customize-changed and
customize-package-changed would call. Or something like that.

> What could be acceptable is to have :package-version for use in
> defcustom, and provide a table to translate that into Emacs versions,
> so that customize-changed can deduce from :package-version which options
> have changed since the previous Emacs release.

If I understand correctly, only the :package-version keyword would be
used, rather than both a :version and :package-version in my suggestion,
or a plist in the :version in Reiner's suggestion.

I like your idea too. The table provides a nice historical reference,
and in case the "next" Emacs version changes, you only have to change
the version number in one place.

How would you like me to proceed for this release then? To just use
comments as Reiner suggested, or to use a :package-version keyword and
extend custom-handle-keyword to allow it?

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD